The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Bombe fun facts.
Bombe Fun Facts: A bombe is an ice cream dessert frozen in a spherical mold so as to resemble a cannonball, hence the name.
- Escoffier gives over sixty recipes for bombes in Le Guide culinaire.
- August 11th is National Raspberry Bombe Day.
- A recipe for “chocolate & meringue bombe” is given in Mary Berry’s Complete Cook Book.
- The dessert appeared on restaurant menus as early as 1882.
- Some recipes show that spun sugar was sometimes used as a wick, and brandy was poured onto the plate and lit to create a flaming bombe.
- Also known as domes, these frozen desserts, were quite popular on menus in the ‘80s.
Bombe fun facts we missed?
If you know of any bombe fun facts we missed please feel free to let us know. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Bombes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.