Boston Cream Fun Facts
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Boston Cream.
The Facts: This pudding and cake combination comprises two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla flavored custard or crème pâtissière. The cake is topped with a chocolate glaze (such as ganache) and sometimes powdered sugar or a cherry.
- The Boston Cream Pie was created by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856.
- Although it is called a Boston cream pie, it is in fact a cake, and not a pie.
- A Boston cream doughnut is a name for a Berliner filled with vanilla custard or crème pâtissière and topped with icing made from chocolate.
- October 23rd is Boston Cream Pie Day.
- The Boston cream doughnut was designated the official doughnut of Massachusetts in 2003.
- The Boston Cream Pie was proclaimed the official Massachusetts State Dessert on December 12, 1996.
Boston Cream Fruit Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Boston Cream.