The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Cheese fun facts.
The Facts: The most recognizable characteristic of Swiss cheese is its holes which punctuate the pale yellow exterior. These holes, also called “eyes,” are caused by the expansion of gas within the cheese curd during the ripening period.
- Archaeological surveys show that cheese was being made from the milk of cows and goats in Mesopotamia before 6000 B.C
- January 20th is National Cheese Lovers Day.
- The first cheese factory to make cheese from scratch was started in Rome, New York in 1851 by Jesse Williams.
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
- Processed American cheese was developed in 1915 by J. L. Kraft (founder of Kraft Foods) as an alternative to the traditional cheeses that had a short shelf life.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches originally showed up in america during the 1920s
- Almost 90% of all cheese sold in the United States is classified as a Cheddar type cheese.
- Pizza Hut uses about 300 million pounds of cheese per year.
Cheese Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some cheese fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Cheese.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.