The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Cheesecake fun facts.
Cheesecake Fun Facts: The first “cheese cake” may have been created on the Greek island of Samos. Physical anthropologists excavated cheese molds there which were dated circa 2,000 B.C.
- A cheesecake–at least an American-style cheesecake–is not a cake; it’s a baked cheese custard pie with a crust. The uncooked custard filling is poured into a crust and then baked.
- It is believed that cheesecakes were served to athletes competing during the first Olympic games in 776 B.C. to give them energy.
- Modern commercial American cream cheese was developed in 1872, when William Lawrence, from Chester, New York, while looking for a way to recreate the soft, French cheese Neufchâtel, accidentally came up with a way of making an “unripened cheese” that is heavier and creamier; other dairymen came up with similar creations independently.
- March 6th is National White Chocolate Cheesecake Day.
- July 30th is National Cheesecake Day.
- October 21st is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day.
- The largest cheesecake ever made weighed 4,703 pounds. Philadelphia Kraft Foods Mexico made the cake on January 25, 2009 in Mexico.
- Even though he is best known for his signature sandwiches, Arnold Reuben (1883-1970) is generally credited for creating the New York Style cheesecake. Reuben was born in Germany and he came to America when he was young. The story goes that Reuben was invited to a dinner party where the hostess served a cheese pie. Allegedly, he was so intrigued by this dish that he experimented with the recipe until he came up with the beloved NY Style cheesecake.
- On the “The Golden Girls,” the cast consumed more than 100 cheesecakes over the course of the TV show’s seven-year run.
Cheesecake Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any cheesecake fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Cheesecake.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.