The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and coffee fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Coffee fun facts:
Coffee Fun Facts: Legend has it that Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effects of caffeine when they saw their goats appearing to become “frisky” and “dance” after eating coffee berries.
- Originally coffee was eaten. African tribes combined coffee berries with fat to create energy balls.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world. (oil is first)
- January 18th is National Gourmet Coffee Day.
- January 25th is National Irish Coffee Day.
- April 7th is National Coffee Cake Day.
- September 6th is National Coffee Ice Cream Day.
- September 26th is National Coffee Day.
- The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the consumption of coffee. The religion prohibited drinking alcohol but considered coffee an acceptable beverage.
- All coffee in the world is grown in “The Bean Belt” (areas between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn).
- Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows coffee.
- The term “a cup of Joe” comes from American servicemen (GI Joes) in WWII being seen as big coffee drinkers.
- George Washington invented instant coffee. A Belgian man living in Guatemala named George Washington invented in 1906.
Coffee Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the coffee fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about Coffee
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.