The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Clams.
The Facts: A clam has only two goals in life: to eat and to have sex, hence the phrase “happy as a clam”. Unfortunately, as the clam has no brain, it derives no real pleasure from either food or sex. The clam is a chemically driven shell full of salty flesh that exists to procreate.
- It takes about 25 to 28 months for clam larvae to reach a market size clam.
- November 1st is National Deep Fried Clams Day.
- Clams feed year-round, though they feed less in winter because they need less energy.
- A clam that is 2 to 3 inches is more and likely three to five years old.
- A normal clam can live till it is about 33 to 36 years old.
- In 2007, scientists discovered a specimen of the ocean quahog that was between 405 and 410 years old.
- Clams have no eyes, ears, or noses, so they cannot see, hear, or smell
- A giant clam can grow up to four feet.
Check out this recipe for Malaysian Black Pepper Clams