DYK: Corn Chips
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Corn Chips.
The Facts: A corn chip is a snack food made from cornmeal fried in oil or baked, usually in the shape of a small noodle or scoop.
- Corn chips are thick, rigid and very crunchy and have the strong aroma and flavor of roasted corn, and are often heavily dusted with salt.
- January 29th is Natiopnal Corn Chip Day.
- The “original” mass market corn chip was the Fritos Corn Chip, first sold in the 1930?s
- Charles Elmer Doolin bought the patent for “Fritos” from a Mexican man for $100
- Corn chips are most often eaten alone or with a chip dip. They are a common ingredient in homemade and commercial party mix.
- In the Southwestern US, a popular dish, Frito pie, is made with corn chips and chili.
- In some areas, it is popular to pour the chili into a bag of corn chips and eat the mixture directly from the bag.
- “Frito Chili Pie” was invented in the 1960?s by Teresa Hernández, a cook at Woolworth’s lunch counter in Santa Fe