The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Nachos.
The Facts: Nachos originated in the city of Piedras Negras, Mexico in 1943 when the wives of US soldiers visited a restaurant called the Victory club after it had closed for the day. The maitre d’ Ignacio “nacho” Anaya, invented a new snack for them with what little he had available in the kitchen: tortillas and cheese. Anaya cut the tortillas into triangles, added cheddar cheese, and added sliced jalapeno peppers. He served the dish calling it Nachos especiales.
- November 6th is National Nacho Day.
- In Mexico nachos are called ‘totopos’.
- In their simplest form, nachos are tortilla chips covered in nacho cheese or shredded cheese and salsa.
- Nachos is the food most craved by pregnant women.
- The first known appearance of the word “nachos” in English dates to 1949, from the book A Taste of Texas.