The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Taffy.
The Facts: Taffy is made from a mixture of corn syrup, sugar, butter, cornstarch, and water with a little salt. Food coloring as well as flavoring and citric acid may also be added.
- Salt water taffy was “invented” in Atlantic City in 1883.
- May 23rd is National Taffy Day.
- Modern technology allows confectioners to produce 1,000 pieces of taffy a minute.
- In one hour enough pieces of taffy are made to cover one third of the length of Atlantic City (about 1.3 miles).
- The three most popular taffy flavors sold by Sweet Candy Company are peppermint, cinnamon and chocolate.