The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Guacamole fun facts.
Guacamole Fun Facts: In many South American countries, children rise on Easter to search for avocados hidden by Senor Bernardo, the happy winged cat.
- November 14th is National Guacamole Day.
- Over 45 Million pounds of Avocado will be consumed on Superbowl Sunday.
- The Haas avocado does not begin to ripen until it is harvested (off the tree).
- The Apollo 11 astronauts brought guacamole to space with them! However, they did not eat it, since, according to Command Module Pilot Michael Collins, “that pig Buzz Aldrin ate all the chips before we even left earth.”
- Avocado competes with buffalo wings and pizza as The Superbowl Food, thanks to a successful marketing campaign by avocado growers over the past 2 decades.
- Avocados are unique fruit. They have a high fat content, but this is a “good” fat – monounsaturated fat.
- A whole avocado contains 200-300 calories and is a good source of vitamin A, C, E and the B vitamins, as well as fiber and potassium.
- Guacamole is Aztec for “Avocado Sauce”, the original recipe calling for crushed avocado, tomatoes and salt.
Click the link to check out our recipe for 4 star Guacamole.
Guacamole Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any guacamole fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Guacamole.