Ice Cream Sandwich Fun Facts
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Ice Cream Sandwiches.
The Facts: An ice cream sandwich is a frozen confection composed of a layer of ice cream sandwiched between two biscuits/cookies or slices of cake.
- Although ice cream sandwiches were made by hand and distributed by New York street vendors in the early 1940s, it wasn’t until 1945 that the first ice cream sandwiches were mass produced.
- The current version was invented in 1945 by Jerry Newberg when he was selling ice cream at Forbes Field, in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Pictures from the Jersey Shore circa 1905 “On the beach, Atlantic City”, show Ice Cream sandwiches were popular at 1c each.
- August 2nd is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day.
- The ice cream sandwich ranks as the second best-selling ice cream novelty in America.
- The average number of ice cream sandwiches eaten per second nationally is 48.
- If all the ice cream sandwiches made last year were placed end to end, they would circle Earth 3 1/2 times.
- The 30-44 age group buys the most ice cream sandwiches.
- The eastern seaboard consumes almost 50 percent of all ice cream sandwiches.
- The ice cream sandwich is so American it is sold at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.
Ice Cream Sandwich Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Ice Cream Sandwiches.