Lemonade Fun Facts
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun facts we will look at Lemonade.
The Facts: Lemonade is a lemon-flavored drink. In different parts of the world, the name has different meanings. In North America, lemonade is usually made from lemon juice, water, and sugar and is often home-made.
- August 20th is National Lemonade Day.
- Lemonade can trace its origins to the Egyptians when in 500 AD lemon juice was mixed with sugar to make a beverage known as qatarmizat.
- The first lemonade “soft drink” debuted in Paris on August 20th, 1630. The drink was made from sparkling water and lemon juice sweetened with honey.
- Frozen lemonade made its debut in 1840 in Naples, Italy.
- The earliest documented lemonade stands were introduced by a young entrepreneur named Edward Bok who formed them in Brooklyn street cars from 1873 to 1876.
- Lemonade stands were first referenced in news media by the New York Times in 1879.
- 4-year-old Alex Scott started the nonprofit Alex’s Lemonade Stand in 2000 after learning she had cancer and she sought to find a cure. She lived only 4 more years and in that short time raised more than $1 million for cancer research. That organization today has since raised more than $25 million nationwide for children’s cancer research.
- The “ade” in lemonade means that the product is not 100 percent juice.
- Grape juice is added plain lemonade to make commercial pink lemonade.
Lemonade Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Lemonade.