Liqueur Fun Facts
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Liqueur.
The Facts: A liqueur is an alcoholic beverage made from a distilled spirit that has been flavored with fruit, cream, herbs, spices, flowers or nuts and bottled with added sugar or other sweetener (such as high-fructose corn syrup). Liqueurs are typically quite sweet; they are usually not aged for long after the ingredients are mixed, but may have resting periods during their production to allow flavors to marry.
- In parts of the United States, liqueurs may also be called cordials or schnapps.
- October 16th is National Liqueur Day.
- Grand Marnier Created in 1880, it is one of the most popular liqueurs of all time. Escoffier used it as an ingredient for his culinary masterpiece Crepe Suzette. Cesar Ritz was so impressed with this liqueur that he was among the first to introduce it at his hotels.
- All liqueurs are blends, even those with a primary flavor.
- Liqueurs are not usually aged for any great length of time (although their base spirit may be), but may undergo resting stages during their production in order to allow the various flavors to “marry” into a harmonious blend.
- Limoncello got so popular in Italy at one point in the past decade that some restaurants were giving it away for free.
The most common liqueurs that you should consider absolutely essential when stocking your bar.
- Coffee Liqueur (e.g. Kahlua)
- Dry and Sweet Vermouth
- Irish Cream Liqueur
- Maraschino Liqueur
- Orange Liqueur (e.g. triple sec, Cointreau, Curaçao)
Liqueur Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Liqueur.