The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and raspberry fun facts. We research food trucks, food carts and street food daily, From time to time we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
Because of this, we have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Raspberry fun facts.
Raspberry Fun Facts. The word “raspberry” seems to come from the Old French raspise, a term meaning “sweet rose-colored wine”.
- Raspberries are a type of fruit known as an aggregate fruit. Aggregate fruits have flowers with multiple ovaries and each ovary produces druplets around a core formed by the flower. Each druplet could actually be considered a separate fruit.
- There are over 200 different known species of raspberries but only 2 species are grown on a large scale.
- May 3rd is National Raspberry Popover and Tart Day.
- July 31st is National Raspberry Cake Day.
- August 7th is National Raspberries and Cream Day.
- The term “raspberry” for a flapping noise made with the tongue and mouth seems to have originated in the Cockney dialect of England. The sound was originally called a raspberry tart, and was later shortened to raspberry.
- Raspberries have been crossed with other berries to form new species. Theloganberry is a cross between raspberries and blackberries. The boysenberry is a cross between red raspberries, blackberries and loganberries. The nessberry is a cross between a dewberry, raspberry, and blackberry and other crosses include laxtonberries, veitchberries, and mahdiberries.
- The people of Troy, in modern-day Turkey, were the first to note an appreciation of the raspberry fruit.
- 4 A.D. saw the first writings on the cultivation of raspberries.
- Raspberries are a wonderful source of vitamin C, containing 40 percent of a person’s daily needs.
Raspberry Fun Facts We Missed
If we missed any raspberry fun facts let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Raspberries.