The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Tater Tot fun facts.
Tater Tot Fun Facts: Tater Tots were first created in 1953 when Ore-Ida founders F. Nephi Grigg and Golden Grigg were trying to figure out what to do with leftover slivers of cut-up potatoes. They came up with the novel idea of chopping up the potato slivers, adding flour and seasoning, then pushing the mash through holes and slicing off pieces of what came out on the other side.
- February 2nd is National Tater Tot Day.
- Tater Tots is a registered trademark for a commercial form of hash browns made by Ore-Ida, are a side-dish made from deep-fried, grated potatoes.
- Tater is slang for potato (origin: 1750–60; America; by Apheresis, tato, and substitution of -er for final -o, tater)
- Tater Tots were first available in stores in 1956.
- Americans consume approximately 70 million pounds of tater tots per year.
- In Australia, they are known as “potato gems”, “potato royals” or “potato pom-poms”.
Tater Tot Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any tater tot fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Tater Tots.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.