1st Annual Chicago Vendy Awards Announced
CHICAGO, IL - The Vendy Awards are coming to Chicago! On Saturday, October 5th, at Kendall College, they will determine the best street food vendor in Chicago while raising money for Slow Food Chicago & Asociación de Vendedores Ambulantes (AVA)
The Vendys are:
- A grill-to-grill cook-off where 12-15 of the best street food vendors in Chicago are invited to compete against each other for street food glory. At the event, we’ll have a team of distinguished judges score the finalists and decide who get the coveted Vendy Cup.
- The general public can also buy tickets to the event, to enjoy the vendors’ food as well as beer and general festiveness. There will be music and culminating in a short ceremony naming the award winners! Admission to the event includes y food from all the participating finalists and UNLIMITED beer from BROOKLYN BREWERY.
- A festival of respect and gratitude for all vendors and everything they provide us–from your morning coffee (half-and-half, two sugars) to the $2 umbrella when you get caught in the thunderstorm.
- A fundraiser for Slow Food Chicago, a non-profit organization that seeks to create dramatic and lasting change in our local food system to ensure equity, sustainability and pleasure in the food we eat.
- A fundraiser for Asociación de Vendedores Ambulantes (AVA), a non-profit organization that unites street vendors and their allies in the city to fight for regulations that would allow vendors to sell their products in a public space.
- Each ticket is also a tax-deductible donation.