Recipe: Ginger Carrot Soup
Although we had plans to release a story this afternoon profiling a soup cart in the San Francisco area, we are going to put that particular story on hold until we are able to finish up on our research. We apologize for the delay, but only wish to give our readers original content, and fully fact checked stories.
In the meantime, we thought it might be fun to publish a soup recipe that ties into the Meatless Monday theme we posted earlier, alpha-carotene carrying vegetables. It may not be something my daughter is a fan of, but the many variations of carrot soup can not only be good for you, but in my opinion, it may be one of the best tasting vegetable soups one can cook up quickly and easily.
- 2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and white pepper
- Sour cream
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish
- Over medium high heat, in a 6-quart pan, add the butter and onions, stir often, and cook until onions are limp.
- Add the broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Do not fill the blender more than half way, for safety purposes; perform this step in batches if you need to. Cover the blender (release one corner of the cover to prevent a vacuum and possible explosion) and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with tablespoon of sour cream and parsley sprigs.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as it is the beginning of soup season, and has the added upside that it gives you another healthy menu option for Meatless Monday.