The recipe we are sharing today comes from Chicago via The Brown Bag Truck, a mobile food truck owned by Joaquin Soler. This food truck offers a different approach to barbecue, served with off the wall sauces, and unexpected sides.
Brown Bag Truck - Tiger Cry Beef Salad
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 bottle Mexican or regular Coca-Cola
- 1/4 cup Chinese black vinegar3
- pounds outer skirt steak (tenderized
- by butcher)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes, whole
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) bags prepared romaine
- Mix pineapple juce, Coca-Cola and vinegar together in large resealable bag or container. Add steak and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Remove steak from refrigerator and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Coat with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on greased grill until medium-rare, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut steak into 3- to 5-inch pieces, then slice each piece across grain into 11/4-inch-thick strips.
- While meat is resting, grease grill again and char tomatoes until skin is blackened and blistered. Set aside to cool.
- Combine brown sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to boil, then lower heat and stir constantly until water evaporates and steam ceases to rise from pot. Remove from heat and stir in garlic. Return to heat, stirring until garlic is lightly toasted. Add red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, on high speed, puree charred tomatoes, skin and all, until smooth.
- Combine tomatoes, brown sugar mixture, fish sauce and lime juice; season with additional fish sauce to taste. When ready to serve, toss sauce with beef, stir in cilantro and serve immediately atop romaine.
Brown Bag Truck – Chicago
brown bag lunch truck drives down chicago’s streets offering a different approach to barbecue, served with off the wall sauces, and unexpected sides.