Recipe: Kale Salad with Hazelnut-Balsamic Vinaigrette
This refreshing salad we are sharing on Meatless Monday comes from Josh Henderson of Skillet Street Food in Seattle, WA. It is packed with flavor and nutrition. Nutrient-dense kale has potential antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties while canola oil is a good source of omega-3 fat and vitamin E.
Skillet Street Food – Kale Salad with Hazelnut-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 4 cups chopped kale 1 L?2 Tbsp chopped, toasted hazelnuts 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries 30 mL
- ?2 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles 30 mL
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, whole leaf 60 mL
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar 75 mL
- 1 Tbsp water 15 mL?2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- ?1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ?1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp black pepper 2 mL
- 1?4 cup crushed, toasted hazelnuts 60 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- In large bowl combine, kale, hazelnuts, cranberries, blue cheese and parsley. Set aside.
- To prepare Hazelnut-Balsamic Vinaigrette: In medium bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, water, Dijon mustard, salt, shallot, garlic, thyme, pepper and hazelnuts. Using immersion blender, combine ingredients and slowly add canola oil until emulsion forms.
- Add vinaigrette to kale salad, toss and serve.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving Size: Just over 1 cup (250 mL) salad.
Skillet Street Food
street food, diner & bacon jam.