Today is National Blueberry Pancake Day. In this recipe we through in a little sour cream to help create a little more flavor and texture from the typical pancake recipe.
Blueberry Sour Cream Pancakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes per batch | Yield: 10 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Add blueberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
For pancakes, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, sour cream and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
Pour batter by 1/4 cupful onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with blueberry topping.
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Pancake fun facts.
Pancake Fun Facts: Pancakes have a long history, dated back to the times of Ancient Romans and it was believed in Medieval times that the first three pancakes cooked were sacred. They were each marked with a cross before being sprinkled with salt and then set aside to ward off evil.
- Pancakes are found almost in every culture. It is a thin flat cake made from batter and fried in a pan or on a griddle. Batter is usually made from eggs, flour, milk or water, oil or melted butter. Sometimes batter can be made from buttermilk.
- September 23rd is National Pancake Day.
- January 28th is National Blueberry Pancake Day.
- Maple syrup which is often used as a topping, was originally a sweet drink which was discovered by the Algonquin Indians. To make this drink, sap was collected from Canadian sugar maple trees and next it was boiled.
- The first ready-mix food which was sold commercially was Aunt Jemima pancake flour. It was invented in 1889 in St. Joseph, Missouri.
- It is common in France to touch the handle of the frying pan and to make a wish while the pancake is turned, holding a coin in one hand.
- The first pancake recipe appeared in an English cookbook in the fifteenth century.
- World’s biggest pancake was cooked in Rochdale (Greater Manchester) in 1994, which was 15 metres in diameter, weighted three tonnes and had an estimated two million calories.
- Celebrity chef Aldo Zilli in 2005 year set the world record for the highest pancake toss at 329cm.
- The French crêpe is thin and crispy. It is folded or rolled and heated in a sauce of sugar, butter, citrus juice and liqueur.
- Russian blintz are usually prepared with buckwheat and they are thin, crispy pancakes served with caviar and sour cream or folded and filled with jam and cream cheese.
- One pancake fan ran a marathon while continually tossing a pancake for three hours, two minutes and twenty seven seconds.
Pancake Fun Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know about the pancake fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Pancakes.