Opening a food truck has become a dream for many people. The popularity of food trucks and mobile food has never been higher nor has it ever been as well publicized.
Whether it’s seeing a food truck parked near your office at lunch or seeing a television program or commercial that includes food trucks, the mobile food industry is booming. More and more people asking themselves if opening a food truck is the route they want their professional career to head.
If you are one of these interested parties, you must to do some soul-searching before you run out and purchase a food truck. Explore your thoughts surrounding the possibility of becoming a food truck owner. The more you question your personal motives and figure out what’s holding you back the easier the final answer will come.
Answers these questions to help you determine if a opening a food truck is really right for you:
- When did I first come up the idea that I would like to own my own food truck?
- What was happening in my life at that time that may give me clues about why this thought came about?
- Am I willing to work on most holidays?
- Am I willing to work long hours?
- When I picture myself working in my food truck does it seem realistic, and am I happy even when I envision the chaos or problems that will happen?
- Have I had dreams of myself owning a food truck?
- When I visit food trucks do I find myself mentally running the place, or do I have ideas about how to make improvements?
- Do I truly envision myself enjoying working with the public, and people that would be my employees, even when conflicts arise?
- Would I be happy if I had to multitask as well as delegate jobs to others?
- Would my spouse, significant other, or family be accepting of this career change?
- Is there a part of me that wants to do this to please someone else? If I take away that person and or the feeling of importance would I still want to proceed?
- Who may be holding me back in my own mind? Make a list of all the people in your life and how they would react? If the reaction is negative or unsupportive what are the reasons? Is it really theirr own fear, or is it a concern the person legitimately has for you? If valid explore that thought and whether or not you believe it.
Opening a food truck business can be scary. The best way to move past this fear is to gain knowledge about the industry. In exploring the idea you may learn that food truck ownership is not really for you, but rather it was the idea of independence that really appealed to you. If this turns out to be the case then by running through this exercise nothing was lost.
If you do find opening a food truck is what you feel you were meant to do, then the next step will be to explore the ways to make it a reality.
Existing Food Truck Owners:
Do you have a story about when you began opening a food truck? Let us know what you went through to make it happen in the comment section below, Tweet us or share your impressions on our Facebook page.