Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Anyone tried partnering with local breweries or distilleries for pop-ups?

Hey fellow truckers! I run a burger truck, and I’m looking at partnering with Payette Brewery here in Boise for regular pop-ups. I’m wondering if anyone here has experience doing something similar.

How did it go for you?
I’m particularly interested in how it impacted your sales and customer flow. Did it help create more consistent business, or did you find it wasn’t worth the effort? Payette has a solid customer base, and I’m hoping the foot traffic from their crowd will really boost my sales, but I’m also wondering if there are any challenges I’m not seeing.

What about the financial side?
Payette is asking for a percentage of sales, but I’m not sure if that’s the best move. Did you negotiate a flat fee for being on-site or stick with a percentage deal? What worked better for you in a similar situation, and was it fair for both sides? I’m also trying to figure out how much of a cut would be reasonable.

Other logistical stuff:
I know Payette hosts a lot of events, so I’m wondering if any of you had issues with conflicting schedules or permits when working with a brewery. How do you handle cross-promotion? Are you doing most of the promo, or do you rely on the brewery’s regulars? I’m hoping to maximize branding and make sure both sides benefit.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insights—just trying to figure out the best way to make this partnership work.

I have a couple of breweries on my route. I think they are just like any other location. Give them a try, test them out and see if you're profitable or not. Some nights you might make great money, other times you may not. Every place is different.

Last year, I set up my food truck at three different breweries, and I’ve got some detailed numbers that I pulled from my POS. I operate in SoCal. Here’s how that broke down for me:

Sales Overview:

• Events at Breweries: I was on-site for about 15 events in total across the three breweries.
  • Average Sales per Event: $1,200 to $1,500 depending on the day and crowd. Mostly weekends.
  • Total Sales for the Year (at breweries): Roughly $22,000, with one of the breweries making up a big chunk of that.

Percentage Deal Breakdown:

• 10% of Sales to the Breweries: On an average $1,500 day, I gave about $150, which worked out fair for the built-in traffic they brought to the truck.

Expenses:

• Food Cost: Around 30% of total sales, so on a $1,500 day, about $450 went toward ingredients.
  • Labor: I usually had one or two staff members, depending on the event size, which cost around $200 per day.
  • Gas & Truck Maintenance: Averaged $50 per event.
  • Miscellaneous (licenses, fees, supplies): Estimated about $20 per event.

Profit:

After all expenses, I was left with about $600 profit on a good $1,500 sales day, even after giving up 10%. This percentage deal worked well for me since I didn’t have to worry about a fixed cost eating into profits on slow days. Give it a try and see if the numbers work out for you.