Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Build Relationships with Local Farmers for farm-to-truck setup?

My idea is to source all ingredients directly from local farms and farmers. Basically, I want every item on my menu to come from a variety of farms in the area: produce, meats, dairy, or even farm-made jams and sauces. Think of it as a direct farm-to-truck concept. I think it’d set my truck apart from all the other trucks in my area that just use Sysco.

Why I think this could be awesome:

1. Fresh, local ingredients: People are super into knowing where their food comes from these days. I feel like customers would love the idea that every bite they take supports local farmers and is made with ingredients that were probably harvested just a day or two ago.
  2. Unique menu every week: Since I’d be working with multiple farms, I could have rotating menu items depending on what’s in season. I think this would keep things fresh and exciting, and give people a reason to come back regularly to try new dishes.
  3. Supporting local farmers: Farmers work so hard, and building relationships with them directly cuts out the middlemen. Not only does it help them get paid fairly, but it also gives me better prices, which is a win-win.
  4. Transparency and trust: These days, people are looking for transparency in their food. By buying directly from farms, I can tell customers exactly where their meal comes from, and even showcase specific farms or farmers on social media and the truck itself.

But here’s where I’m stuck...
How realistic is it to manage relationships with multiple farms? I know it would take a lot of coordination to source everything, especially if some farms can’t deliver or have inconsistent supply. Plus, how do I handle pricing fluctuations with local products, and will customers be willing to pay a premium for this concept?

Has anyone tried something similar, or do you have any advice on the best way to go about this?

Alright, I’m gonna be real with you because I’ve seen this type of idea fall apart before. Sourcing everything from local farms sounds great, but it’s a logistical and financial mess.

The cost is insane. Local farm ingredients are way more expensive than buying from Sysco or other suppliers. You’re paying for their small-scale production, which drives prices up. You might think people will pay more for that “farm-to-truck” concept, but trust me, most won’t. They love the idea—until they see the price tag.

Customers won’t pay that much. You can’t just slap a $30 price on a sandwich because it’s “farm fresh” and expect people to buy. People are gonna walk past your $30 sandwich to grab something cheaper, no matter how good your ingredients are. Don't trust things like surveys either. They will tell you this is what they want, but trust me 99% of people won't support you.

Sorry to be blunt, but I've seen this mistake happen before.