Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Event Promoter is Asking 20% - 30% of Gross Sales + Fee... Worth It?

Hey everyone, I’m running a taco trailer and need some advice on event fees. I’m considering doing a new BBQ Days event where the host is charging $200 upfront for a 2-day event, which is fine, but they’re also asking for 20-30% of gross sales on top of that.

The promoter says they’re expecting 5,000 people per day, but since it’s the first year of the event, there’s no way to really know if the turnout will be that high. Here’s my concern: after paying for ingredients, staff, gas, and other expenses, I’m not sure if there’s going to be anything left for me once I give them their cut.

Has anyone else dealt with a setup like this? I feel like I could be getting the short end of the stick on this one. Do you think it's even worth doing, or is this a losing situation? I’d really appreciate any thoughts or experiences you can share. I'm thinking about passing on this even though it could be a good promotional opportunity.  Thanks!

I’d pump the brakes on this one real quick. That upfront $200 ain’t bad, but giving them 20-30% of your gross sales? Nah, that’s way too much, especially for a first-time event where the turnout could be hit or miss. Promoters always throw out those big numbers like “5,000 people a day,” but you and I both know that’s just a shot in the dark, especially for a first-year event. Ain’t no guarantee you’ll even see half that.

By the time you pay for your meat, tortillas, gas, and pay your crew, what’s left for you? Pretty much nothin’. You’d be busting your ass just to break even—if you’re lucky. And if it’s slow, you’re gonna be sitting there wondering why you even bothered.

I'm not a food truck owner, but I think this is a really bad deal. Decline and move on.