Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Slow Sales at a 3-Day Event: Keep Staff or Cut Hours?

I run a fish taco truck up here in Maine, usually hitting up events and festivals during the fall months. We’ve been doing this for a while, so we know how to prep for those big 2-3 day gigs that are usually packed. But this weekend, we’re at one of our usual events, and it’s a ghost town. Like, Friday and Saturday were painfully slow, and we’ve still got Sunday to go.

I’ve already got my staff scheduled for the whole weekend, but I’m debating... do I cut some people loose to save on costs, or do I just roll with it and keep everyone on, hoping Sunday picks up? How do you all handle staffing when the turnout is low for events?

I’ve been in that exact same situation a couple of times with my lobster roll truck. It’s always a gamble, especially when you’re already invested in your staff for the weekend.

I try to keep the crew on if I can afford it, especially if they rely on those hours. But if things are really looking dead, I’ll have a talk with them and see if anyone wants to leave early voluntarily. Most of the time, they get it. Hopefully... Sunday could surprise you!