Bagel Fun Facts
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Bagels.
- Bagels are the only bread that are boiled before baked. Once the bagel dough is shaped into a circle, they are dipped in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. After that, they are drained and baked for about 10 minutes.
- That little hole in the center isn’t just for looks. The bagel hole comes in handy to thread multiple bagels onto a dowel, making transport easily, especially for street vendors selling the doughy delights.
- February 9th is National Bagels and Lox Day.
- July 26th is National Bagelfest Day.
- December 11th is National “Have a Bagel” Day.
- Prepackaged bagels first became available in grocery stores in the 1950’s. Frozen bagels were introduced in 1960.
- North Carolina molecular scientist Robert Bohannon developed ‘Buzz Donuts’ and ‘Buzzed Bagels’- caffeinated donuts and bagels in 2007. They contain the caffeine equivalent of 2 cups of coffee.
- Despite the myriad bagel flavors available from blueberry to the “everything” bagel, the most popular choice is plain, followed closely by sesame.
Bagel Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Bagels.