The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Chocolate Wafers.
The Facts: While cookies and pastries containing cocoa have been produced for centuries, the commercial version of the chocolate wafer got its start back in 1924, when the National Biscuit Company (now simply known as Nabisco) began selling them in tins along with sugar wafers and ginger wafers.
- These crispy, sweet snacks are an American favorite. With their waffle surface pattern and thin layers, they can often be found accompanied with ice cream or cooked into other baked goods.
- July 3rd is National Chocolate Wafer Day.
- In Egypt, there are special kinds of wafers called freska that are only sold on the beach in the summertime.
- Chocolate wafers are enjoyed as a key ingredient in Oreos
- Ancient Aztecs thought chocolate had magical powers; like the ability to give them strength.
Chocolate Wafer Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Punchbowl: Fun Facts about National Chocolate Wafer Day.