DYK: World Food Day
The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at World Food Day.
The Facts: World Food Day (WFD) was established by FAO’s Member Countries at the Organization’s 20th General Conference in November 1945. The Hungarian Delegation, led by the former Hungarian Minister of Agriculture and Food, Dr. Pál Romány has played an active role at the 20th Session of the FAO Conference and suggested the idea of celebrating the WFD worldwide. It has since been observed every year in more than 150 countries, raising awareness of the issues behind poverty and hunger.
- October 16 is World Food Day.
- The World Food Day theme for 2012 is “Agricultural cooperatives – key to feeding the world”.
- World Food Day has been a tradition in the USA since the first World Food Day in 1982.
- In the United States the endeavor is sponsored by 450 national, private voluntary organizations.
- The Iowa Hunger Summit has been held on or near World Food Day since 2007, and is organized by the World Food Prize in conjunction with their annual symposium in Des Moines, Iowa.
- Find out more about World Food Day at http://www.worldfooddayusa.org/