The internet is full of fabulous fun facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided that when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with you, our readers, in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Fettuccine Alfredo fun facts.
Fettuccine Alfredo Fun Facts: Fettuccine Alfredo is a pasta dish made from fettuccine pasta tossed with Parmesan cheese and butter. As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the liquids to form a smooth and rich coating on the pasta.
- The dish was named by an Italian restaurateur, Alfredo Di Lelio, at his restaurant Alfredo on the Via della Scrofa in Rome in 1914.
- February 7th is National Fettuccine Alfredo Day.
- The restaurant became famous when Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks stopped in and fell in love with the dish while on their honeymoon in 1920. To express their gratitude, they gave him a golden fork and spoon along with a photo of them eating in his restaurant. He proudly displayed the photo on the wall. Pickford and Fairbanks served his dish to their friends and associates when they returned to Hollywood. Word about the new dish quickly spread.
- Alfredo retired and sold his restaurant, Alfredo Sauce recipe and all, to Mr. Mario Mozzetti and the restaurant is still in business today.
- In 1959 some local businessmen tracked down the famous Alfredo and offered to build him a new restaurant. Although he was retired he agreed to show up as a greeter. The new Alfredo ll location at 30 Piazza Augusto Imperatore is a few blocks from his original location.
- Today Alfredo ll has locations near Rockefeller Center in New York, Orlando and Las Vegas.
- To make it a single-dish meal, chicken and vegetables, such as peas, are often served on top.
- In the jarred Alfredo sauce available in supermarkets, the sauce is thickened with starch and not with cheese.
Fettuccine Alfredo Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any Fettuccine Alfredo fun facts in the comment section below. f we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Fetteccine Alfredo