The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Muffins.
The Facts: Muffin n. a small, cup-shaped bread, often sweetened and usually served hot. The derivation of the word muffin comes from the French word moufflet which is often times applied to bread and means soft.
- December 19 is National Oatmeal Muffin Day.
- July 11th is National Blueberry Muffin Day.
- Three states in the United States of America have adopted official muffins. Minnesota has adopted the blueberry muffin as the official state muffin. Massachusetts in 1986 adopted the Corn Muffin as the official state muffin. Then in 1987 New York took on the Apple Muffin as its official muffin of choice.
- English style muffins which are yeast raised and cooked on a griddle, may date back to the 10th or 11th century in Wales.
- American style muffins are ‘quick breads’ made in individual molds. Quick breads (contain no yeast, and therefore, they don’t require all of the time spent on kneading, rising and resting) were not developed until the end of the 18th century.
- Do you know the Muffin Man? The Muffin Man, the Muffin Man. Do you know the Muffin Man, Who lives in Drury Lane? The muffin man went door to door delivering English muffins along Drury Lane. Many of the households on Drury Lane would have their food delivered to them. The rhyme was first published around 1820.
- Four U.S. states have adopted a State Muffin.
- Massachusetts – Corn
- Minnesota – Blueberry
- New York – Apple
- Washington – Blueberry
Muffin Facts We Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Muffins.