The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and packed lunch fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at packed lunch fun facts.
Packed Lunch Fun Facts: A packed lunch (also called pack lunch, sack lunch or bag lunch in North America, or pack up in the United Kingdom, is a lunch prepared at home and carried to be eaten somewhere else, such as school, a workplace, or at an outing.
- In a packed lunch, the food is usually wrapped in plastic, aluminum foil, or paper and can be carried in a lunch box, paper bag, or plastic bag.
- In the United States, an informal meeting at work, over lunch, where everyone brings a packed lunch, is a brown-bag lunch or colloquially a “brown bag”.
- March 10th is National Pack Your Lunch Day.
- Mickey Mouse was the first licensed character to appear on a lunchbox in 1935.
- The 1950 Hopalong Cassidy lunchbox was the first lunchbox based on a television show.
- In 1852, Francis Wolle, a schoolteacher, invented the first machine to mass-produce paper bags. Wolle and his brother patented the machine and founded the Union Paper Bag Company.
- The largest-ever sandwich, according to Guinness, was a corned-beef sandwich made in 2005. It was made by the staff at Wild Woody’s Chill and Grill in Roseville, Michigan. It tipped the scales at a whopping 5,440 pounds, or more than 2 tons.
Packed Lunch Fun Facts We Missed
Please feel free to let us know if we may have missed some packed lunch fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Packed Lunch.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.