The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and strawberry shortcake fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Strawberry Shortcake fun facts.
Strawberry Shortcake Fun Facts: The most famous dessert made with shortcake is strawberry shortcake. Sliced strawberries are mixed with sugar and allowed to sit an hour or so, until the strawberries have surrendered a great deal of their juices. The shortcakes are split and the bottoms are covered with a layer of strawberries, juice, and whipped cream, typically flavored with sugar and vanilla. The top is replaced, and more strawberries and whipped cream are added onto the top.
- Shortcake is a sweet cake or biscuit (in the American sense: that is, a crumbly bread that has been leavened with baking powder or baking soda).
- June 14th is National Strawberry Shortcake Day.
Strawberry shortcake parties became popular in the United States around 1850, as a celebration of the coming of summer.
- The 2012 Pasadena Strawberry Festival featured the world’s largest strawberry shortcake. The cake used 3,240 pounds of strawberries and 280 pounds of whipped cream icing.
- Shortcake is typically made with flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, salt, butter, milk or cream, and sometimes eggs. The dry ingredients are blended, and then the butter is cut in until the mixture resembles cornmeal. The liquid ingredients are then mixed in just until moistened, resulting in a shortened dough. The dough is then dropped in spoonfuls onto a baking sheet, rolled and cut like baking powder biscuits, or poured into a cake pan, depending on how wet the dough is and the baker’s preferences. Then it is baked at a relatively high temperature until set.
- Though today’s shortcakes are usually of the biscuit or sponge-cake variety, earlier American recipes called for pie crust in rounds or broken-up pieces, which was a variety still being enjoyed in the 20th century, particularly in the South.
- The strawberry is the only fruit that has the seeds on the outside, and each strawberry has about 200 seeds. Because the seeds are on the outside, the strawberry is actually not a true berry, and each of the seeds could be considered as a separate fruit.
Strawberry Shortcake Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any strawberry fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Strawberry Shortcake.