The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Vanilla Custard fun facts.
Vanilla Custard Fun Facts: Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk or cream and egg yolk.
- Vanilla custard has been around since the Middle Ages, and was traditionally used as a pie filling. (A very simple custard tart was a popular dessert during that time period.)
- Although the ingredient components are simple enough, the preparation requires some precision: Custards must only undergo gentle heat to avoid curdling — though candy thermometers can help avoid this, provided that the custard is removed from heat when it reaches 170 degrees.
- Today, custard is an important component in many dessert recipes including éclairs, trifle, and Boston cream pie.
- August 17th is National Vanilla Custard Day.
- Vanilla Custard also can be called by many names including crème pâtissière, stirred custard, boiled custard, soft custard, light custard or creme anglaise and even flan.
Vanilla Custard Fun Facts We May Have Missed
If so, please feel free to let us know about the Vanilla Custard Fun Facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Vanilla Custard
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.