City Reverses Food Truck Ban To Help Restaurants

City Reverses Food Truck Ban To Help Restaurants

0 717
SEWICKLEY PA

SEWICKLEY, PA - There will be food trucks at Friday’s final summer Night Mart after all.

But Sewickley Council President Susan Aleshire said if Night Mart organizers plan the event next year, “we don’t want just any kind of food truck.”

Council members last week rescinded a July vote to ban the popular restaurant-on-wheels concept for Night Mart events planned for July and August. Aleshire was the only council member who voted last week not to rescind the previous vote. The measure passed 8-1.

Organizer Rhonda McFarland said July’s event was disappointing because brick-and-mortar restaurants were jammed and patrons had nowhere else to go for food.

“A lot of families were very disappointed on the last Night Mart,” said McFarland, who owns Threadz Boutique and works with Sewickley Shops — a group of business owners who planned this summer’s Night Marts. “A lot of them walk in with their children and they’re not going to sit down at a restaurant, they’re not going to drink. They want a place where they can come with their children and just get a bite to eat and then walk back home. There were a lot of very disappointed residents.”

McFarland said she met with several restaurant owners — many of whom signed a petition saying they were agreeable to allowing food trucks during the event. She presented the petition to council.

Three food trucks are scheduled to be part of Friday’s final event: Oh My Grill, Fourth Street Barbeque and Food Fight.

Council banned food trucks after June’s Night Mart because organizers had not presented insurance information from food vendors, Aleshire said.

“We had decided as council and sent a letter out saying that because you did not have insurances and they were here, that was not good,” she said. “We don’t want to be held liable for that. So that’s why council said for this year, we’re not going to do that anymore.

Aleshire said she thought organizers undermined council’s previous vote “to go ahead and get the people, and that’s great that you have them and you have their insurances, but we already said not to do that.”

Find the entire article at triblive.com <here>

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply