They went to the University Health Center and were later transported to a hospital to treat their burns, Dining Services spokesman Bart Hipple wrote in an email. Three of the employees were released, as of last night.
“We are all sending our best hopes and wishes for speedy recovery to the staff of the truck,” he wrote. “We are firstly worried about the people who have been injured and then will focus on possible next steps for the food truck.”
The nonstudent employees were cleaning up after the truck closed when a grease fire ignited at about 3:20 p.m. Friday, Hipple wrote.
The truck sits behind the North Campus Dining Hall so a fire marshal can assess the situation. The university fire marshal said the fire started from a cooking accident and did not damage the truck.
“I think this is tragic,” Hipple wrote. “The staff of the truck is a skilled, energetic, capable group of people who have worked very hard to make every meal great; not just the food but also the whole experience. We don’t yet know exactly what happened and so can’t know how it could have been prevented.”
Green Tidings’ Twitter account and website states the truck will remain closed until further notice, but Hipple anticipates the truck will reopen after spring break.
Find the entire article at diamondbackonline.com <here>