The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and apple dumpling fun facts. During our research for our daily content, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in a new section titled “Did You Know?”.
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Apple Dumpling fun facts.
Apple Dumpling Fun Facts: An apple dumpling is a pastry filled with apple, cinnamon and occasionally raisins. Apples are peeled and cored, placed on a portion of dough, then filled with cinnamon and sugar. Then the dough is folded over the apples and the dumplings are baked until tender.
- Apple dumplings are a native food in the northeastern United States, around Pennsylvania.
- A very common recipe among the Amish, it is often eaten as a breakfast item. It is also a very common dessert item after meals.
- In the UK a suet pastry is often used, although shortcrust is also common. A filling of dates, sultanas or raisins is often inserted into the cavity left by removal of the core, and dark sugar is popular there too.
- The Apple Dumpling Gang is a 1975 Disney film about a slick gambler named Russell Donovan who is duped into taking care of a group of orphans who eventually strike gold during the California Gold Rush.
- September 17th is National Apple Dumpling Day.
Fun Facts We Missed
If we missed any apple dumpling fun facts please feel free to let us know in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Apple Dumplings.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.