The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Apple Fun Facts
Apple Fun Facts: The apple tree is a deciduous tree in the rose family best known for its sweet, fruit, the apple. It is cultivated worldwide as a fruit tree, and is the most widely grown species in the genus Malus.
- Fresh apples are made of 25% air, and thus the reason why they float in water.
- About 80 million tons of apples were grown worldwide in 2013, and China produced almost half of this total. The United States is the second-leading producer, with more than 6% of world production.
- Americans eat approximately 19.6 pounds of fresh apples annually.
- October is National Apple Month.
- Apples are fat, sodium, and cholesterol free.
- Apple blossom is the state flower of Michigan.
- 2500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States.
- The most popular variety in the United States is the Red Delicious.
- 7500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world.
- Apples are a member of the rose family.
Apple Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Feel free to let us know about the apple fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Apples
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.