The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and banana fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Banana fun facts.
Banana Fun Facts: The banana plant is the world’s largest herb and is often mistaken for a tree, but it does not have a woody trunk or boughs.
- They are actually giant herbs of the same family as lilies, orchids and palms.
- Farmers in Southeast Asia and Papua New Guinea first domesticated bananas.
- February 23rd is National Banana Bread Day.
- March 2nd is National Banana Creme Pie Day.
- In 2001, there were more than 300 banana-related accidents in Britain, most involving people slipping on skins.
- 2012 statistics show that India led the world in banana production, producing around 18% of the worldwide crop of 139 million metric tonnes.
- Bananas are naturally slightly radioactive, more so than most other fruits, because of their potassium content and the small amounts of the isotope potassium-40 found in naturally occurring potassium.
- Bananas were noted by Arab traders as small, about the size of a man’s finger, and so called them banan, which means “fingertips” in Arabic.
Banana Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any banana fun facts in the comment section below. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Bananas.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.