The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and Bavarian cream fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Bavarian Cream Fun Facts.
Bavarian Cream Fun Facts: Bavarian cream is a rich dessert which is designed to be served cold, usually un-molded onto a plate and garnished with things like fresh fruit. It is made by blending whipped cream with a rich yolks-only egg custard and chilling the mixture until it sets.
- Bavarian cream was originally a French (or German) cold dessert of egg custard stiffened with gelatin, mixed with whipped cream (sometimes with fruit purée or other flavors), then set in a mold, or used as a filling for cakes and pastries.
- No one is sure about the origin of Bavarian cream, but during the late 17th and early 18th centuries many French chefs worked at the court of the Wittelsbach Princes. This would have given them the contact to have learned it in Bavaria.
- The dish appears to have emerged in a recognizable form in the late 1700’s, and it may in fact have been developed by Marie Antoine Careme, a famous French chef from the late 18th century.
- November 27th is National Bavarian Cream Pie Day.
- The suffix ‘crème’ in German speaking lands, is the term for the gelatin mold – (Schokolatencreme, Weincreme, etc.) and there are many variations, flavored with chocolate, lemon, kirsch, etc.
- Before the advent of refrigeration, Bavarian cream represented a culinary triumph. In order to set the dish, the Bavarian cream would have had to be chilled in an ice-filled bowl. Typically, the ice would be mixed with salt to bring the freezing point down, encouraging the custard in the bowl to set up.
Baverian Cream Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any Bavarian Cream Fun Facts we missed. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia facts about Bavarian Cream.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.