The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and beer fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Beer fun facts.
Beer Fun Facts: Humans and yeast have been working together for millennia to create tasty brews. As early as the 6th millennium B.C., ancient Sumerians had discovered the art of fermentation.
- While beer is not likely to qualify as a health food anytime soon, it does contain at least one ingredient that’s good for you: silicon.
- September 7th is National Beer Lover’s Day.
- In ancient and medieval times the job of making beer fell to women. In some cultures it was considered such an honor that only beautiful or noble women could do it.
- The few beer producers who weren’t women tended to be monks.
- Today, beer is the preferred beverage of men, according to data from a July 2010 Gallup poll. Of the 67 percent of U.S. adults who drink alcohol, 54 percent of men named beer as their top alcoholic beverage compared with 27 percent of women. (Liquor was equally preferred by both genders, while women heavily favored wine, a trend largely driven by women over 50.)
- Beer is more popular among young people, with half of 18- to 34-year-olds listing it as their top intoxicating beverage.
- Beer was often used as medicine in medieval times. Shortly after the start of Prohibition the government ruled that doctors could give out beer for medicinal purposes (sound familiar?).
- It’s a terrible stereotype that Germans are all huge beer drinkers. However, their country of 80 million did until just a few years ago have more breweries than the 300 million strong USA.
- The age at which you are allowed to buy alcohol varies surprisingly little from country to country, usually falling between 16 and 21. However, parts of India have a drinking age of 25, the latest in the world.
Beer Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any beer fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about Beer
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.