The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and blueberry fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Blueberry fun facts.
Blueberry Fun Facts: Blueberries are the fruits of a shrub that belong to the heath (Ericaceae) family whose other members include the cranberry and bilberry as well as the azalea, mountain laurel and rhododendron.
- Blueberries grow in clusters and range in size from that of a small pea to a marble.
- Blueberries are native to North America where they grow throughout the woods and mountainous regions in the United States and Canada. This fruit is rarely found growing in Europe and has only been recently introduced in Australia.
- April 28th is National Blueberry Pie Day.
- July 11th is National Blueberry Muffin Day.
- Native Americans once called blueberries “star berries” because the blossoms make a star shape.
- Blueberries are one of the only foods that are naturally blue in color.
- There are approximately 30 different species of blueberries with different ones growing throughout various regions.
- Michigan is the number one state in highbush blueberry production with growers producing over 100 million pounds of blueberries every year.
- Blueberries are literally bursting with nutrients and flavor, yet very low in calories. Recently, researchers at Tufts University analyzed 60 fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant capability. Blueberries came out on top, rating highest in their capacity to destroy free radicals.
- The white, powdery substance on blueberries is called “bloom.” Bloom indicates fresh berries.
Blueberry Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any blueberry fun facts we missed. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about Blueberries
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.