The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and bombe fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Bombe fun facts.
Bombe Fun Facts. A bombe is an ice cream dessert frozen in a spherical mould so as to resemble a cannonball, hence the name.
- A classic bombe is made from ice cream and sponge cake.
- Escoffier gives over sixty recipes for bombes in Le Guide culinaire.
- A recipe for “chocolate & meringue bombe” is given in Mary Berry’s Complete Cook Book.
- The dessert appeared on restaurant menus as early as 1882.
- Some recipes show that spun sugar was sometimes used as a wick. Brandy was poured onto the plate and lit to create a flaming bombe.
- It is much easier to put together an ice cream bombe if you have three smooth, glass bowls that you can use to press the layers into even stripes. Plastic wrap will help you remove the bowls cleanly once the ice cream has set.
- Give your ice cream ten to fifteen minutes on the counter and stir it so that the temperature is even. This will help you press it out evenly.
- August 11th is National Raspberry Bombe Day.
Fun facts we missed?
Let us know if we missed any bombe fun facts in the comment section or our food truck forum. We love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Bombes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.