The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and bottled water fun facts. Because of this, as we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know. We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know fun food facts we will look at Bottled Water fun facts.
Bottled Water Fun Facts: Bottled water is drinking water (well water, distilled water, or spring water) packaged in plastic or glass water bottles. Bottled water may be carbonated (“fizzy”) or not.
- Consumption in the United States: “8.6 billion gallons of bottled water.” There are approximately 300 million people in the U.S., so it works out to about 29 gallons per person per year. Bottled water typically comes in 16 ounce or half-liter bottles, so that’s 232 bottles per year, or roughly one per weekday.
- The recommended daily water intake for the average person is eight 8-ounce glasses.
- March 22nd is World Water Day.
- The price of bottled water is up to 10,000 times the cost of tap water.
- Americans spend $4 billion per year on bottled water.
- It takes three times the amount of water to produce the bottle as it does to fill it.
- An estimated 25 percent of bottled water is actually filtered tap water.
- The NRDC conducted a comprehensive four-year scientific study of 1,000 brands of bottled water. Incredibly, the results showed that one third of the bottled waters violated their own industry standards for water quality.
- 75% of the people chose the taste of New York City tap water over bottled water.
- In 2009, the New South Wales town of Bundanoon voted to become the first town in the world to outlaw bottled water.
Bottled Water Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any bottled water fun facts in the comment section. We love to add to these lists. If we can verify that the facts, we will give the reader credit in this article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Bottled Water.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.