The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history of basket weaving and broccoli fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Broccoli fun facts.
Broccoli Fun Facts: Broccoli by invented by crossing cauliflower seeds with pea seeds.
- Broccoli was grown mainly in Italy since the Roman Empire until the 16th century when a royal marriage brought the vegetable to France.
- California produces almost all of the broccoli sold in the United States.
- The word broccoli comes from the Latin word brachium and the Italian word braccio, which means “arm”.
- Broccoli comes in a variety of colors, ranging from deep sage all the way to dark green and purplish-green.
- Available all year round, broccoli is best from October to May.
- To eliminate the smell of broccoli, add a slice of bread to the pot.
- To retain the nutrients in broccoli, either steam it, stir-fry it, or boil it in a very small amount of water. Most other methods will cause a nutrient loss of about 25 to 35 percent.
- Tom “Broccoli” Landers holds the current world record for eating 1 pound of broccoli in 92 seconds.
Broccoli Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any broccoli Fun Facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Broccoli.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.