The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and candy cane fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at candy cane fun facts.
Candy Cane Fun Facts: A candy cane is a cane-shaped stick candy often associated with Christmas. It is traditionally white with red stripes and flavored with peppermint, but may also be a variety of other flavors and colors.
- The earliest verifiable reference to stick candy is a record of the 1837 Exhibition of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association, where confections were judged competitively.
- Originally, candy canes were only white and weren’t bent.
- The red and white striped candy canes were first made around 1900.
- Brasher O. Westerfield invented a machine that could automatically make candy canes in 1921, . Before this each cane was made by hand.
- December 26th is National Candy Cane Day.
- Nearly 2 billion candy canes will be sold in the four weeks before Christmas and Hanukkah.
- The world’s largest candy cane was built by Geneva, Illinois chef Alain Roby in 2012. It was 51 feet long, required about 900 pounds of sugar.
- The average sized candy cane (5 inch) weighs roughly half an ounce and only has 50 calories.
Candy Cane Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any candy cane fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Candy Canes.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.