The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Candy Corn fun facts.
Candy Corn Fun Facts: Candy Corn was created in 1880 by George Renninger of the now-defunct Wunderle Candy Company. Originally created to closely resemble a fresh whole kernel of corn, the treat has taken on a much brighter appearance since its debut.
- Originally, each tiny candy corn kernel was made by hand.
- Candy Corn once had the name “Chicken Feed” because of its similarity to real corn.
- The National Confectioner’s Association estimates that close to 20 million pounds of candy corn are sold each year.
- According to the National Confectioners Association, 35 million pounds (9 billion pieces) of candy corn will be produced this year. — 9 billion mistakes will be made.
- October 30th is National Candy Corn Day.
- It is believed that this day was chosen due to the fact that sales of the candy are typically the highest on the 30th.
- Once opened, a bag of candy corn will be safe to eat for up to 6 weeks. Unopened, it’s good for up to 9 months.
Check out our recipe for homemade candy corn <here>
Candy Corn Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any candy corn fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Candy Corn.