The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and chicken fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Chicken Fun Facts.
Chicken Fun Facts: The chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) is a domesticated fowl, a subspecies of the red junglefowl.
- Chicken as a meat has been depicted in Babylonian carvings from around 600 BC.
- There are more chickens on earth than people.
- Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world.
- The largest serving of fried chicken (2,493 lbs) was served at Kentucky Fried Chicken in celebration of the restaurant’s 70th anniversary.
- Chicken consumption in the United States increased during World War II due to a shortage of beef and pork.
- According to the National Chicken Council, more than 1.25 Billion Chicken wing portions (more than 100 million pounds) were consumed on Super Bowl weekend in 2012.
- Popeyes Chicken is named after the character Popeye Doyle in the movie “The French Connection.”
- The Rhode Island Red (Gallus gallus domesticus) was designated as the Official Bird of Rhode Island in 1954.
- Alektorophobia is the fear of chickens.
- July 6th is National Fried Chicken Day.
Chicken Fun Facts We May Have Missed
Let us know about any chicken fun facts we missed in the comment section or our food truck forum. We always love to add to these lists. If we can verify the facts we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Fun Facts about Chicken
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.