The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and chocolate candy fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Chocolate Candy fun facts.
Chocolate Candy Fun Facts: Cocoa, a rare and expensive commodity, had been introduced in Central Europe via Spain as early as the 1600’s but it wasn’t until 1765 that the first chocolate factory was established in the United States.
- During the Second World War, the U.S. Government commissioned Milton Hershey to create a candy bar to include in the soldiers’ rations. The recipe his company created is now the famous Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar.
- Over 2.8 billion pounds of chocolate are consumed by Americans annually.
- February 14th is National Creme Filled Chocolate Day.
- July 8th is National Milk Chocolate with Almonds Day.
- December 28th is National Chocolate Candy Day.
- In 1907, the iconic Milk Chocolate Hershey’s Kisses were introduced. They are one of the most successful chocolates and Hershey produces approximately 20-25 million per day in a variety of flavors.
- Napoleon insisted that wine, from the Burgundy vineyard called Chambertin, as well as chocolate be available during military campaigns.
- In the 17th Century, the first recorded case of “Death by Chocolate” occurred.
- The original 3 Musketeers Bar of the 1930s had three parts: chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.
- Chocolate syrup was used to simulate blood in the famous shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie, “Psycho”.
- American chocolate manufacturers use about 1.5 billion pounds of milk only surpassed by the cheese and ice cream industries. They also consume approximately 3,500,000 pounds of whole milk.
- Chocolate manufacturers currently use forty (40) % of the world’s almonds and twenty (20) % of the world’s peanuts.
Chocolate Candy Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we missed any chocolate candy fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Chocolate Candy.