The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and compote fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Compote Fun Facts.
Compote Fun Facts: Compote (French for “mixture”) is a dessert originating from Europe, made of whole or pieces of fruit in sugar syrup. Whole fruits are cooked in water with sugar and spices.
- The syrup may be seasoned with vanilla, lemon or orange peel, cinnamon sticks or powder, cloves, other spices, ground almonds, grated coconut, candied fruit, or raisins.
- Compote can be served either warm or cold.
- Some compote variants use dried fruit.
- The Culinary Institute of America considers compote to be one of two types of fruit sauce: there’s coulis, made with smooth, pureed fruit and then there’s compote, which is a chunky mixture.
- March 1st is National Fruit Compote Day.
- Compote conformed to the medieval belief that fruit cooked in sugar syrup balanced the effects of humidity on the body.
- Compotes are often (although not always) made and used immediately as a component of a dish.
Compote Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any compote fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about Compote.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.