The internet is full of fabulous facts about everything from current events to the history basket weaving and custard fun facts. As we research for our daily content on food trucks, food carts and street food, we stumble upon some items of knowledge that we just did not know.
We have decided when these fun facts pop up, that we would share them with our readers in our section titled “Did You Know?”
For today’s Did You Know we will look at Custard Fun Facts.
Custard Fun Facts: Custard is a variety of culinary preparations based on a cooked mixture of milk and/or cream and egg yolk. Depending on how much egg or thickener is used, custard may vary in consistency from a thin pouring sauce (creme anglaise) to a thick pastry cream (creme pâtissière) used as a filling for eclairs.
- Mixtures of milk and eggs thickened by heat have long been part of French cuisine. Custards baked in pastry (custard tarts) were very popular in the Middle Ages.
- The most common custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and typically include sugar and vanilla.
- Custard bases may also be used for quiches and other savory foods.
- May 3rd is National Chocolate Custard Day.
- Due to the fact that it is a very fine organic powder, custard powder is explosive.
- A Swedish restaurant used to take the skin off custard that had been left for too long and sold it to customers as their “Speciality pancake.
Custard Fun Facts We Missed
Let us know if we may have missed any custard fun facts in the comment section below. If we can verify that the facts is just that, a fact, we will give the reader credit in the article.
Reference: Wikipedia: Fun Facts about custard.
Find all of the National Food Holidays to spice up your food truck menu specials throughout the year.